Understanding the Water Damage Timeline
Water damages are incredibly unpredictable, striking when you least expect it. Whether it be severe weather or leaking pipes, SERVPRO of Greensburg understands the stress and inconvenience that comes with damage to your home or business. Water damages progress rapidly, causing an excessive loss in a short window of time. While we are open and always prepared to respond to these losses 24 hours a day, seven days a week, we believe that it is essential for YOU to understand how water damages work, and the timeline they generally follow when left untreated. Doing so will allow us to help you successfully mitigate, remediate, and salvage as much of your precious belongings as we possibly can.
Water Damage Timeline
- Water spreads throughout the property, both in visible and non-visible cavities.
- Water is absorbed into drywall, flooring, and furniture.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing staining on surrounding carpets.
- Paper documents, photographs, and books absorb water and begin to swell.
Within 24 Hours:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Odor begins to develop.
- Furniture may begin to swell and warp.
48 Hours to One Week:
- Microbial growth begins and may start spreading.
- Doors, windows, and studs begin to swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust.
- Paint will begin to blister.
- Conditions can become hazardous for occupancy.
Greater than One Week:
- Structural safety is compromised.
- Microbial growth intensifies.
- Occupancy can be extremely unsafe.
- Cleanup and Restoration costs increase dramatically.
The longer the water sits, the more damage your home will obtain. That's why it is crucial to call the team that is faster to any size disaster: SERVPRO of Greensburg! Our teams of highly skilled technicians provide the best possible customer service and make your water damage look "Like it never even happened." For more information about our services or company, call us at (724) 837-4126.